Manan Wani, associate shot dead in Kupwara encounter

MAJID NABI. Dated: 10/12/2018 1:09:01 PM

SRINAGAR, Oct 11: Scholar turned militant and top Hizbul Mujahideen Commander, Manan Wani, who off late chose to “use both his gun and the pen”, was among the two militants killed in an encounter with government forces at Shatgund village in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district today.
Officials said the gunfight in which Wani and his newly recruited associate was killed raged during the night intervening Thursday that lasted for around ten hours.
Gunfight officials said broke out after a joint team of 30 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and Special Operation Group of Police following inputs about the presence of militants cordoned off Shatgund village in frontier district.
Reports said that the hiding militants fired upon the search party triggering a fierce encounter between the two sides. The gunfight reports said started at 2:30 am.
Official reports suggested that government forces initiated search operations at the site of encounter after a brief lull. However, the same was suspended when firing from other side resumed again in the morning at 9:30 am.
The intense firing between hiding militants and government forces continued till 11AM which later culminated in the killing of two Hizb militants.
The slain militants were identified as Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) Scholar Manan Wani son of Bashir Ahmad Wani from Lolab and Aashiq Hussain of Tulwari Langate.
It may be in place to mention that Wani was the Phd Scholar in Aligarh Muslim University who had joined militant ranks earlier this year. 26 years old militant was pursuing PhD in Structural and Geo-Morphological Study. Wani had recently penned down two long analytical articles that were circulated widely on the social media. In the second one, he wrote, he had chosen to fight with both the gun and the pen.
Reports said as soon as killing of Wani spread, people in hundreds hit streets sparking intense clashes between protesters and government forces. As many as thirty protesting civilians suffered injuries in police action.
In order to maintain law and order, district administration instantly snapped mobile internet service in twin districts of north Kashmir following the killing of Wani and his associate.
Quoting locals, government forces took away dead bodies of both militants after the encounter ended in Shatgund village. The bodies of the slain were handed over to their families after completing legal formalities’.
Funeral prayers of the two militants, according to reports, will be offered tomorrow after Friday prayers at their native places.
A police spokesman, in a statement, said that two militants were eliminated in the gunfight at Shatgund Kupwara. He, however, clarified that no collateral damage has taken place during gunfight.
“Incriminating materials including arms and ammunition were recovered from the site of the encounter and a case has also been registered by the police in this regard and the investigation has been initiated, the spokesman added.



Indian History... Read More



Daily horoscope