Top militant commander, associate, cop, civilian killed in Fateh Kadal encounter

MAJID NABI. Dated: 10/18/2018 3:04:20 PM

SRINAGAR, Oct 17: A top militant commander, his aide, a policemen and a civilian were among four persons killed during a fierce early morning encounter at Fateh Kadal area in downtown Srinagar. The killings of militants and civilians led to a spontaneous shutdown in most parts of Srinagar city particularly old city of Srinagar. Restrictions were also imposed in several places and clashes also occurred between protestors and security forces. Mobile internet services were suspended in Srinagar district.
The encounter reports said broke out this morning at 6: 30 AM after a joint combing operation was launched CRPF and SOG following tip-off about the presence of militants in a house in Fateh Kadal.
Two militants including Lashkar commander, a police constable and son of the house owner were killed during gunfight while three paramilitary CRPF personal also sustained injuries.
Giving details, a police official said the hiding militants fired indiscriminately upon the government forces after they approached the house triggering fierce encounter between the two sides.
A Police constable who was identified as Kamal Kishore from Reasi district of Jammu division lost his life during initial phase of gun battle.
The firing, he said, continued for half an hour and ended up with the killing of two militants and son of house owner who was identified as Rayees Ahmad Sofi son of Habibullah Sofi of Fateh Kadal.
The house in which militants had taken shelter was razed to ground as the forces, in order to neutralize the hiding militants, fired mortar shells.
The slain militants were identified as Mehraj-ud-Din Bangroo son of Sanaullah Bangroo of Narparistan Fateh Kadal and Fahad Mushtaq Waza son of Mushtaq Ahmad Waza of Khanyar.
Waza, a class 10th student, according to reports, joined militant ranks after he went missing from his home earlier this year.
The news about the killing of militants sparked off massive clashes in several parts of the city. Police fired tear smoke shells to disperse the agitating youth. A group of media persons were also roughed up by the police, witnesses said.
In Khanyar residence of Waza, hundreds of youth took to streets and fought pitched battles with deployed police and paramilitary troopers. Clashes were continuing in the area when this report was filed.
Spontaneous shutdown was observed in several parts of the city with most of the shops closed while nominal movement of public transport was witnessed in civil lines and uptown areas.
Major marketplaces including the City Centre at Lal Chowk, Hari Singh High Street, Karan Nagar, Batamaloo, Residency Road, Jamia market wore deserted looks. Authorities imposed stringent curfew like restrictions in old city areas to prevent people from taking to roads in the wake of killing of two militants in encounter.
To maintain law and order in the city, authorities ordered suspension of class work in all schools and colleges in Srinagar city while mobile internet service was suspended early in the morning. Routine class work was also suspended in Kashmir University.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of wreath laying ceremony of slain police constable, state police chief, Dilbagh Singh said that the two militants were eliminated during encounter at Fateh Kadal.
He said the identity of two militants whose dead bodies were found near the encounter site was ascertained while third one is yet to be identified.
“Bangroo was involved in several killings and weapon snatching incidents, two militants were identified while the identity of third militant is being ascertained,” said DGP.
Giving details a police spokesman in a statement issued here said following specific input regarding the presence of militants in Syed Ali Akbar area in Fateh Kadal, a cordon and search operation was launched by a joint team of police and CRPF personnel.
He said that two militants, a civilian and policeman were killed in the ensuing gunfight that broke out between militants and government forces early morning.
“During cordon and search operation civilians were evacuated while search operation was going on at the target location, militants made indiscriminate firing from inside. In the ensuing gunfight, constable Kamal Kishore was killed while two JKP and CRPF personnel also received injuries,” the spokesman added.
He said that the hiding militants and their active accomplice refused to come out of the house and in turn fired upon the search party.
“Consequently, they were killed in the encounter. The eliminated militants and the active accomplice have been identified as Mehraj-ud-Din Bangroo, Fahad Mushtaq Waza and Rayees Ahmad,” the spokesman said.
He said incriminating materials including arms and ammunition were recovered from the site of encounter. “Police has registered a case in this regard and investigation has been initiated,” the spokesman said.



Indian History... Read More



Daily horoscope